Anyone else feel like anything warm at lunch is a treat? I do. I’ve been eating salads or raw veggies for lunch for a long, long time. I like my lunch to be light but voluminous, and a salad is the easiest, quickest dish I can come up with that meets that description. I really love my salads, don’t get me wrong, but cooking lunch seems indulgent. Yes, even when it’s simply cooked vegetables!
I went through a phase with cabbage a couple of years back where I ate it steamed with goat cheese nearly every day for dinner. Then came a day when I couldn’t stomach the stuff, and cabbage and I separated for a while. I recently began craving it again, although I learned my lesson the first time around and limit myself to one cabbage per week.
Now that I can no longer toss it with goat cheese, I’ve resorted to pairing it with novel ingredients. I love it sauteed with salt, pepper, and walnuts. Onion, garlic, and kale is another version I enjoy, especially with a bit of coconut aminos and tahini. I was digging the color combination of red cabbage and broccolini when I went in search of lunch a few weeks back and decided this was a great opportunity to test this pairing.
I chopped everything up, threw it in the pan, and coated it with sesame oil and a miso dressing of miso, freshly grated ginger, garlic, coconut aminos, rice vinegar, sesame oil, salt, and pepper, along with sesame seeds as garnish. I snapped a few pictures post cooking and gobbled it up a minute later. It’d be great to serve as a side with curry, ramen, soba, or another asian dish, or take to work and enjoy as lunch.
Miso-Sesame Broccolini & Cabbage
Ingredients – serves 2-4
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1/4 red cabbage, sliced into thin strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 TBS miso paste
- 1/2″ piece of ginger, grated
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- 2 TBS sesame oil, divided
- 1 TBS coconut aminos
- 1 TBS filtered water
- 1 TBS sesame seeds, as garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Make your dressing: combine miso paste, 1 TBS sesame oil, coconut aminos, rice vinegar, filtered water, and ginger, and whisk until smooth.
- Heat remaining 1 TBS sesame oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Add broccolini, and cook until bright green, 3-4 minutes.
- Add cabbage, miso dressing, salt and pepper, and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve.