Note to self: step away from the tomatoes. I’m sorry for the plethora of tomato recipes lately. I vow to come up with recipes that exclude tomatoes moving forward!
I don’t think I’ve ever made gazpacho. I love soups of all shapes and sizes, and given how easy gazpacho is to whip up, I’m scratching my head as to why I haven’t tried it from scratch before. We were at the market and the tomatoes were so beautiful that I accidentally picked up too many and was left scrambling for ways to utilize them.
What could I do to make my specific recipe unique? My favorite way to prepare vegetables is to roast them, so that’s just what I did. I threw the tomatoes, zucchini, and bell pepper in the oven until the skin was nice and crispy, about 20 minutes.
Everything got tossed into a blender and mixed until chunky. I like chunky.
I tried to garnish it a little bit to really show off the beauty of the fresh produce.
And I had just made flax crackers with parsley. Fitting.
The next day, we had leftovers with my new flax ‘cornbread’.
I won’t bore with unnecessary details. Make this on a lazy night. Thank me later.
Roasted Vegetable Gazpacho
Ingredients – serves 4-6
- 1 pint cherry heirloom tomatoes
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes
- 6 baby cucumber
- 1 green or yellow bell pepper
- 3 small zucchini
- 3 radishes
- 12-15 basil leaves
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1-2 T sherry vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small shallot
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil, plus more as garnish
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Arrange whole tomatoes, bell pepper (remove the top), zucchini, and garlic cloves on a baking sheet. No need to chop!
- Bake for approx. 20min, or until gently charred. Allow to cool.
- Place roasted vegetables, as well as remaining ingredients, in a food processor or blender. Blend as much as desired.
- Add olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste. More olive oil will make the gazpacho smoother and creamier.
- Ideally, allow to sit for 30min or overnight in the fridge for optimal flavor experience.