I realized the other day that I haven’t made a chocolate dessert in a long, long time. Don’t get me wrong, I adore chocolate. My nightly treat is a row of Green and Black’s 85% dark chocolate. I could eat a whole bar of the stuff, but a row is enough to feel satiated most of the time.
Ever since experimenting with a keto meal plan for a month, I don’t care for ultra sweet treats. I can’t hardly get through what was once my favorite dessert, ice cream. I fawned over Coconut Bliss’ Cookies and Cream ice cream when I happened upon it while we were traveling. I got home and immediately ordered a crate from our co-op. Six months later, I still have 3 of 6 pints left most of which get fed to the husband in an effort to free up valuable freezer space. It’s wild what the keto diet did to my taste buds.
So anyway, I was making my list last Friday to prep for our Saturday market run, and I wrote down ‘brownies’. Naturally, I picked up entirely too much food at the market and came to the conclusion that a portion of my fresh produce would need to be prepared at every meal. I grabbed a pint of wild blackberries on a whim and decided, hell, let’s try these in brownies! One thing led to another, and the result was a brownie-blondie mix with a blackberry swirl for sweetness.
Let me tell you, these brownies are dense, fudgy, high on the chocolate factor, and barely sweet. As always, I don’t use added sugar, relying exclusively on the almonds and blackberries to mellow out the bitterness of the dark chocolate. I find the brownies very satisfying, but you could certainly go for some powdered sugar on top or even a chocolate ganache for extra sweetness. You do you!
These babies are grain-free, added sugar free, and work on a paleo or whole30 diet. They might even be keto friendly! You’re basically consuming healthy fats, antioxidants, and protein. Enjoy sans guilt and share these beauts with a friend (or not)!
Wild Blackberry Swirl Brownies
- 4 eggs
- 1 single serve container yogurt (I used cashew yogurt)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 T oil
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, divided
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 3/4 cup packed almond meal, divided
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts
- 1/2 cup berries, divided
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In Bowl 1: Combine eggs, yogurt, vanilla, and cashew butter in a bowl. Stir until combined.
- In Bowl 2: Move 1/2 cup of the above mixture into a separate bowl.
- To this bowl, add 1/4 c almond meal. Stir until combined. Set aside.
- Microwave oil and 1/2 cup chocolate chips on high in 10 sec intervals, stirring at each interval until melted.
- To Bowl 1: Add melted chocolate, 1/2 cup almond meal, and cocoa powder. Stir until combined and smooth.
- To Bowl 1: Stir in 1/4 cup berries and crushed walnuts.
- Mash remaining 1/4 cup of berries to form a thick sauce.
- Grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- Pour brownie mixture (Bowl 1) into the baking dish and spread to form the first layer.
- Spread dollops of blondie mixture (Bowl 2) and berry mash on the top of brownie layer.
- With a knife, swirl all three mixtures. I used a simple serpentine pattern, tracing back and forth until I was happy with the level of incorporation.
- Bake brownies 25-30 minutes, or until firm to the touch.