Summer has finally arrived here in the midwest and all I can think about is cooking with the abundance of produce I see at the market.
I love thai food, but with my peanut and soy allergies I can never enjoy this style of cuisine unless I prepare meals at home and substitute ingredients as needed.
This recipe is phenomenally easy minus the prep-work (lots of vegetable chopping!) and comes together in a quick 30 minutes. Feel free to add chicken or beef if you’d like, but we most often pair it with an egg.
Thai Noodle Salad
Ingredients for two servings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small ear ginger, grated
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 bunch broccolini, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch baby bok choy, sliced
- 4 medium zucchini, spiralized (or go for soba noodles if you’d prefer)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- sesame seeds as garnish
- 1/4 cup nut or seed butter of choice (we used almond)
- 1 TBS coconut aminos
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 TBS rice wine vinegar (omit if you dislike vinegar)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 TBS honey (optional – we typically omit because the coconut aminos are naturally sweet)
- cayenne, to taste (optional)
- salt, to taste
- water, as needed to achieve desired consistency
- Boil water and cook noodles (if using) according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- If you want to get fancy, preheat your oven to 350 and toss your raw cashews on a baking sheet. Roast 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Prepare all ingredients. Things cook quickly once you get going.
- Prepare the dressing. Whisk all ingredients together and season with salt, cayenne, and water to taste. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and saute until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes.
- Add carrot, cabbage, broccolini, and bell pepper, and saute until bright in color, 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add noodles of choice to pan along with bok choy, dressing, and cashews, and toss until coated and heated through, 3-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately along with a fried or poached egg, cilantro, green onions, and sesame seeds.